Transportation legislation enables Sarah Lawrence College to offer employees the opportunity to set aside up to $125 a month ($1,500 a year) from their paycheck, on a pre-tax basis, to pay for commuting cost. In effect, the employees reimburse themselves on a tax-free basis for commuting expenses.
How Does It Work?
- Employees should notify Human Resources by email of their interest in the program. Employees may then self-enroll and self-administer transit benefits at www.transitcenter.com. Employees will receive up to $125 per month in the form of a MetroCard or a prepaid Visa Card to purchase mass transit. This amount is exempt from Federal Income, New York State and City Income, Social Security and Medicare Taxes.
- TransitChek Enrollment Guide (PDF download)
- TransitChek Getting Started Guide (PDF download)
- TransitChek Mobile Enrollment (PDF download)
TransitChek Policy and Advantages
- Sarah Lawrence College is offering the Premium TransitChek program as a pre-tax benefit. This program will allow eligible employees to commute tax-free up to $125 per month, $1,500 per year.
- By participation in the pre-tax TransitChek program, employees in effect give themselves a raise in pay. Depending on the tax bracket and the amount set aside, the tax-exemption will be at least 30% of the amount set aside – for example, an employee in a salary range of $20,000 to $40,000 who receives $1,200 a year in pre-tax TransitChek actually reduces his/her payroll taxes by over $360.
- This amount is exempt from Federal Income, New York State and City Income, Social Security and Medicare taxes.
- Commuting costs cannot otherwise be “written off” as income tax deductions.
- TransitChek prepaid Visa Cards are accepted by providers of mass transit in the New York Metro area, including LIRR, MetroNorth, NJ Transit, PATH, MTA subways and buses, suburban buses, van pools and ferry service. For more information please consult the list of TransitChek Operators or go to the TransitChek site.
The following procedures shall apply to Premium TransitChek Program participants:
- Employees may enroll on a monthly basis.
- Employee must notify Human Resources by E-mail of their interest in the program.
- Employees may review, change, and manage their monthly benefit online at www.transitcenter.com.
- TransitChek products are paid for by Employee one month in advance.
- TransitChek products will be mailed to the employee's home and reloaded monthly thereafter.
- TransitChek products can be replaced if they are lost or stolen but a charge may be applied.
- TransitChek products will be made available at the end of each month for transportation the following month.
- In the event of separation from the College, the College shall reverse TransitChek payroll deductions for the month of separation.
- The College reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify, amend, suspend or terminate the TransitChek Program at any time without notice. No program is intended as a guarantee of benefits or rights.