Frequently Asked Questions


Assistant Director of Financial Aid

E-mail Beverly


How is financial aid awarded?

A financial aid award will include federal student loans for eligible students. Award letters will also include merit fellowships for selected students and need-based scholarships for eligible students. Students are not required to take out a student loan to receive a Sarah Lawrence graduate scholarship or fellowship.

How will I receive my award?

You will receive a financial aid award letter with your announcement of admission to your program of interest. Awards will be sent out on a rolling basis for applicants who submit after the stated deadlines.

How do I accept my award?

To accept your award and have the aid credited to your student account, you must submit all documents requested by the Office of Financial Aid no later than the stated deadlines. Federal student loans must be accepted, modified or declined via the Federal Direct Student Loan Authorization Form. 

Do I need to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Forms must be filed by the stated deadlines each year of attendance. Recipients must continue to demonstrate financial need and maintain satisfactory academic progress to remain eligible for financial aid.

What is a Sarah Lawrence graduate scholarship?

The Sarah Lawrence graduate scholarship is a merit award intended to recognize past accomplishments and potential for success at Sarah Lawrence College and beyond. The funds come from contributions made by alumni and friends of the College. The amount of scholarship awarded will vary from award to award. You must maintain satisfactory academic progress to retain the scholarship.

Are employment opportunities available to graduate students?

Yes, part-time student employment positions are offered through the Office of Student Employment. The beginning of fall semester is the best time to secure employment on campus. The College posts both on-and off- campus job openings on MySLC.

What is a student loan?

A student loan is an obligation that must be repaid after you complete your degree or cease to be enrolled at least half time. 

What types of student loans are available?

A variety of loans are available to any student who is enrolled at least half time. A valid FAFSA is the prerequisite for any federal loan. Students are advised to maximize the unsubsidized loan before turning to a Graduate PLUS or private loan.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: Eligible students may borrow up to $20,500. The interest on an unsubsidized loan begins to accrue the moment you take the loan, but payments may be deferred until graduation. The interest rate is fixed and set by the federal government. The government withholds an origination fee before disbursement.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan: This loan requires a credit check. The interest accrues during enrollment, but payments may be deferred until graduation. Students may borrow up to the cost of education minus other aid. The federal government withholds an origination fee before disbursement.

Private Education Loans: These loans are available from many lenders. They are credit based. In some cases, international students with an eligible co-signer may apply for a private loan. Sarah Lawrence does not endorse any particular lender. The lenders on the Elm Select page are listed because the College has dealt successfully with them in the past.

How do I apply for a student loan?

Applications for Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans are facilitated by the College. See Federal Aid Options for further information. 

The student initiates obtaining a private education loan. Many lenders will contact the Office of Financial Aid for our certification. In some cases, the student will send loan forms to this office. Remember to report all private, alternative loans to the Office of Financial Aid at