Study Music in Catania
While students may study classical music in Catania, their specialization lies in jazz, folk and world music. Students on the Catania program take three courses, one of which may be taken in music for which they earn five credits per term. Our program in Catania is only offered in the spring semester. All students must consult andreceive approval to study music before arriving in Florence. Students must consult and be approved by Chester Biscardi, director of the Sarah Lawrence Music program, and Cristina Anzilotti, director of the Florence and Catania program.
The components for a music course will vary based on the discipline.
- CESM – Centro Etneo Studi Musicali, Accademia di Musica
A music program in jazz:
- Instrument or voice (weekly lessons)
- Ensembles including Lab orchestra for those at the advanced level
Courses: Audio Engineering (theory & practice); Hard Disk Recording, Jazz History
Labs (Workshops): Jazz Ensembles (Jazz, Pop Rock Blues, Classic, Heavy-Metal); Harmony & Arranging; Theory
14-member Jazz Orchestra: 5 saxophones, 4 trumpets, 2 guitars, piano, bass, and drum set
- Facoltà di Lettere, Università di Catania
A classical program in music:
- Performance based
- Lessons: Held weekly in all instruments, voice and composition
- Courses: Individual theory tutorial
- History of Music or the Esthetics of Music
- Performance based
- La Scuola di Musica Popolare Alan Lomax
(This is the perfect place for students who want to do world music.)
A program in World Music
- Weekly individual instruction
- Ensemble ( varies with a focus on dance)
Students should also consider attending concerts and events at the following venues:
- Teatro Massimo Bellini
Named after Composer, Vincenzo Bellini, the theatre offers a rich classical and opera season
- Associazione Musicale Etnea
Established in 1973, the Associazione Musicale Etnea (AME), offers concerts in historic baroque buildings, such as Palazzo Biscari. AME has hosted many composers including Karlheinz Stockhausen, Franco Donatoni, Luciano Berio, Sylvano Bussotti, Aldo Clementi, Francesco Pennisi, Ennio Morricone, Steve Reich and Terry Riley.
- Scenario Pubblico: A more contemporary space, this venue presents theatre, dance and music concerts.
- Zo: Source for musical and cultural festivals
- Catania Jazz
Housed in the largest theatre in Catania, the Metropolitan, this is the destination for jazz enthusiasts.