Non-Sarah Lawrence Programs




Explore Your Options with Non-Sarah Lawrence Study Abroad Programs

As a Sarah Lawrence College student, you have the opportunity to spend a year or semester abroad through programs offered by approved colleges and universities. Sarah Lawrence defines study abroad as an academic program combined with an immersive experience abroad. To provide the opportunity for an immersive experience, programs that involves comparative study in multiple countries must incorporate a 4 week minimum stay in each country.

As you begin to plan your studies outside of the Sarah Lawrence campus, make sure to thoroughly review the following information. For additional support, contact the Office of International & Exchange Programs

Requirements, Policies & Guidelines

Residency Requirement

Students must complete two consecutive years of study at Sarah Lawrence College, and either the junior or senior year must be spent on the Sarah Lawrence campus in Bronxville. Studying on one of the exchange programs does not satisfy the residency requirement.

Lecture Requirement

Students are required to successfully complete four lecture courses over four semesters at Sarah Lawrence (20 credits). Successfully completing a full semester abroad (15 credits) will result in five lecture credits. A successful year abroad (30 credits) will result in 10 lecture credits.

Language Requirement

  • Students who have taken a semester of beginning language elsewhere will have those credits evaluated as regular transfer credits.
  • Students who have taken a semester of beginning language elsewhere and want to continue the language second semester at Sarah Lawrence will be allowed to do so, based on the student’s ability to do the course work and on classroom space availability.
  • The languages taught at Sarah Lawrence are French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian, and Spanish.

Distribution Requirements

Of the minimum 120 credits required for the BA degree, the following limits apply:

  • Maximum of 60 credits in the creative arts
  • Maximum of 80 credits in the humanities
  • Maximum of 80 credits in the social sciences
  • Maximum of 80 credits in the natural sciences and mathematics
  • Maximum of 50 credits in one discipline
  • Minimum of at least two semester courses (10 credits) in at least three of the four following areas: natural sciences and mathematics; humanities; social sciences and history; creative arts.

Transfer Credit

The Office of International & Exchange Programs should approve programs/courses of study in advance. Students should also e-mail Prema Samuel if the program changes while off-campus. In general, only courses in disciplines offered at Sarah Lawrence are accepted in transfer. Certain courses, such as business and engineering, are not approved for credit transfer. Courses in the arts—dance, music, filmmaking, theatre, studio arts—must be approved by Sarah Lawrence arts faculty.

Additional transfer credit policies are as follows:

  • Students receive credit for a full semester only if they complete at least 15 semester hours.
  • A maximum of 15 semester hours may be earned for one semester of study off-campus; a maximum of 30 semester hours may be earned for the year.
  • Only courses graded “C” (not “C-”) or better will transfer. Grades of “P” or “Pass” are not acceptable unless defined by the sponsoring institution as equivalent to “C” or better.
  • Verify with your off-campus school that credits and grades will be recorded on an official transcript, and arrange to have official transcripts sent directly from the sponsoring college or university to the registrar at Sarah Lawrence upon conclusion of the program.
  • If studying through a non-college organization such as CIEE, IES, Interstudy, etc., students must arrange to be registered through a US school of record that will provide an official transcript of work.

Financial Aid

Students who attend one of the Sarah Lawrence Study Abroad programs can apply their entire financial aid package toward the cost of the program.

Students attending a non-Sarah Lawrence program may apply only federal aid, loans, and possibly external scholarships (check with the scholarship provider). Sarah Lawrence gift aid cannot be applied toward non-Sarah Lawrence programs.

To find out if any part of your financial aid will travel with you, visit the Office of Financial Aid, e-mail, or call 914.395.2570. Do not forget to ask for information on scholarships when requesting an application from a study abroad program.

Scholarship & Grant Opportunities

  • Bridging Scholarship for Study in Japan
    Scholarships for American students participating in study abroad programs in Japan. Recipients receive a stipend of $2,500 (for students on semester-long programs) or $4,000 (for students on academic year programs).
  • DAAD— German American Exchange Service
    A flexible scholarship program that offers short-term scholarships for participation in summer study abroad, internships, senior thesis research, or summer courses at German universities, and long-term scholarships for semester or year study abroad. 
  • The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
    A program that seeks to lower barriers to undergraduate study abroad by offering scholarships to students with financial need, encouraging those underrepresented in study abroad to apply. The award is up to $5,000 for semester or academic year programs.
  • Grant Net (a free search engine)
    Funding opportunities for training in the biological and medical sciences.
  • FastWeb (a free search engine)
    Free customized scholarship search. E-mail updates are provided on scholarships that fit the user’s profile.
  • National Security Education Program (NSEP)
    Information on NSEP scholarships for undergraduate and graduate study in less-traditional regions, as well as institutional grants. NSEP grants have a service obligation. $2,500 for summer, $4,000-$10,000 per semester, or $6,000-$20,000 per academic year. For study abroad in all countries except Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
  • Study Abroad Funding
    A comprehensive directory of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, and grants to find funding for study outside the US at an undergraduate, graduate, or professional level of study.

  • Yconic (a free search engine)
    High school, college, and university students can search from thousands of unique scholarships, bursaries, grants, and other forms of financial assistance. It’s free, private, and personalized.

Program-Based Scholarships

A range of scholarships based on need and merit may also be available for specific programs. Programs that have helped support Sarah Lawrence students in the past include: