Study Abroad in Paris: Theatre Program
Paris’ cultural history, rich in the Pierrot, mask and mime traditions, provides an ideal context for the pursuit of theatrical experimentation.
In general, students in the study abroad theatre program may choose one 4 credit course per semester. A typical theater course consists of three components:
- Theory or History
- Acting Instruction
- Movement or Voice
Students specializing in theater may consider applying to our intensive program.
All classes are conducted exclusively in French.
The study abroad theater program in Paris centers around the following institutions:
- Dramatic corporal mime following the method of Etienne Decroux
- Analysis of the importance of silence for the modern man, whose actions are no longer connected to economic production
- Study and analysis of essential aspects of human drama: passions, dreams, etc.
- Textual and Gestual Theater
- Preparation of the body for maximum awareness: sensorial awakening through the exploration of the inner space
- Yawning and soft vibration of vocal cords
- Consciousness of space and others onstage
- Exploration of the self and the other designed to build the actor’s autonomy
- The clown: analysis and in-depth study of clown acting
- Improvisation around a given theme: daily life, relationship to objects, singing, writing for clowns
- Clowns and body language: grounding the body in the real, masks, the silence of the clown
- Courses in improvisation, interpretation, clown and commedia dell’arte
- Musical theater workshops
- Acting for the camera, experimenting with stage directors
- All major pedagogical schools are taught: classical, Stanislavian, Italian, Brechtian, etc.
- Physical training is an integral part of the classes