SLC.edu / Offices and Services / Security and Fire Safety Annual Report 2014 / Team and Services / Crime Prevention Tips
Crime Prevention Tips
- Try not to walk on Kimball Avenue, use interior pathways instead.
- Always lock your bedroom, apartment and exterior door.
- Never leave any valuables out in the open and walk away from them, even if only for a few minutes.
- Use the SLC Identiguard program
- When walking at night, try to walk in groups or use the campus shuttle.
- When walking, plan your route in advance and know where to find emergency phones.
- Immediately report any suspicious persons or activity to security and the police.
- When not in your room, close and lock all windows, especially windows that can be easily reached from ground level.
- If you go inside your room and find evidence of a break-in, don't disturb or touch anything. The police can possibly dust for fingerprints. Call security immediately.
- If you spot a burglar leaving your residence, don't try to stop him. Call security and the police immediately.
- Have all deliveries sent to Westlands Desk and meet the delivery person there.
- If you are ever facing an armed criminal, the risk if injury is minimized by cooperation, avoidance of sudden moves, and giving the criminal what is wanted.
- If it will be dark when you return to your car, park in a place that will be well lit and not deserted.
- Have your keys ready when returning to your car.