SLC.edu / Offices and Services / Security and Fire Safety Annual Report 2014 / Emergency Response Plan / Hostile Intruder
- When an intruder in a campus building is actively causing deadly harm or the threat of imminent deadly harm to people, you must immediately seek cover and call or contact the police, 911, and the Department of Public Safety & Security. Give as many details as possible relative to location, number of assailants, means of aggression and other pertinent information.
- Do not sound the fire alarm to evacuate the building. People may be placed in harm’s way when they are attempting to evacuate the building.
- Be aware of alternate exits if it becomes necessary to flee.
- Persons should lock themselves in classrooms, dorm rooms, and offices as a means of protection.
- Persons should stay low, away from windows and barricade their door(s) if possible and use furniture or desks as cover.
- If possible, cover any windows or openings that have a direct line of sight into the hallway.
- Students and staff should not attempt to leave the building until told to do so by security or police personnel. The only exception to this is, given the specific circumstances, a person is certain beyond any doubt, that they are in more danger in staying in the building, than in attempting to escape.
- When a hostile intruder is actively causing deadly harm or the threat of imminent deadly harm to people on the campus grounds, we recommend the following course of action:
- Run away from the threat if you can, as fast as you can.
- Do not run in a straight line. Use buildings, trees, shrubs, and cars as cover.
- If you can get away from the immediate area of danger, summon help and warn others.
- If you decide to hide, take into consideration the area in which you are hiding. Will I be found? Is this really a good spot to remain hidden?
- If the person(s) is causing death or serious physical injury to others and you are unable to run or hide you may choose to play dead if other victims are around you.
- If hiding or playing dead, do not give away your position or stand-up until the Police give the all-clear sign.