Application Process and Deadlines

Keep photocopies or printouts of all documents related to the aid application process. Please note that you must reapply for financial aid each year. If you have questions, call the Office of Financial aid at (914) 395-2570.



Complete the CSS Profile. Start at How to Complete the Profile. SLC’s profile code is 2810.

October 1 – February 15

File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Do this at SLC’s FAFSA code is 002813. When applying for the FAFSA, please refer to the FSA ID Info Sheet to set-up a secure username and password.

January 1 –
February 15

Send signed copies of current year federal tax returns for yourself and your parents to the Office of Financial Aid.

January 1 –
April 15

If you or your parents are not filing a tax return, send a Non-filer Statement instead of each return. Find this form»

January 1 –
April 15

If your parents are separated or divorced: The parent with whom you live or spend the most time files the PROFILE and the FAFSA. Your second (non-custodial) parent is required to complete the CSS Non-Custodial Parent Statement. This form will be made available to you by CSS upon receipt of your Profile. This form is found at

October 1 –
February 15

Submit the Student Loan Acceptance for and/or the Parent Plus Acceptance form to initiate processing of your federal loan(s).

May 1 –
June 15

New borrowers only: If you have not borrowed a direct federal loan in the past, and want a loan this year, you must complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note. Both processes are done at

June 1 –
August 30

Other forms or documents may be requested as needed.

As requested

Forms and tax returns may be faxed to (914) 395-2676 or mailed to:

Office of Financial Aid
Sarah Lawrence College
One Mead Way
Bronxville, NY 10708-5999

Alternative Families

The CSS Profile and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid assume that you are single, married, divorced, or widowed. In some cases, our families have not or cannot be married but the parents want to apply for financial aid. If this is your family, then please follow these guidelines when completing the CSS Profile.

  1. If your family has cohabitated and commingled their economic resources for more than 2 years then ignore the references to marital status or gender of either parent. Please report the income and assets of your family "as if" marriage has taken place.
  2. Please provide the tax returns of both parents regardless of the filing status of the tax returns.
  3. Send us an email indicating that you have applied for assistance as an "alternative family" so that we may prepare your file accordingly.

If you have any questions or concerns about this process, please contact us at

Why Two Applications?

We use the Profile application to determine your eligibility for Sarah Lawrence resources. We use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility for federal resources.