Fall Fashion Show

fashion show

The Fall Fashion Show unfolded in an air of warmth and beauty transforming Reisinger Hall into a softly lit runway. White fabric screens displayed the names of the six designers in turn, as models brought into the light the original designs of the six Sarah Lawrence students participating in the show.

The up-and-coming designers, some with fashion, some with costume backgrounds, showed their work on November 9 to an overflowing and wildly appreciative audience.

Co-producer of the show, Paul Carey says that the Fall Fashion Show provided a forum for the work of the students in a professional and energetic environment. "This ambitious undertaking is the type of event that one encounters at design schools where studentsí sole preoccupation is months of work and preparation for the event. Conversely, we six designers - each of us with full time academic schedules and other artistic obligations - are receiving no academic credit for this work."

"I am excited about the diversity of the show," he said, "while my garments for this collection have a tendency toward tailoring, making use of classic fabrics, several other designers integrate alternative materials and unconventional construction techniques. I think this show runs the gamut of style and innovation."

Producers Paul Carey and Eve Weinzapfel, both seniors, began planning the show during their junior years abroad, he studying in Paris and she in Rome. The other student designers are Jacy Barber, David Moyer, Karyn Starr, and Adam Mandelman.