Seventh Annual Genetic Counseling Career Day
Monday, June 8
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sarah Lawrence College is home to the both the oldest and the largest genetic counseling program in North America. At this time, more than 60% of people in the genetic counseling field are alumni of our program. Through rigorous, interdisciplinary study and impressive field placements, Sarah Lawrence graduates are redefining the relationship between health, science, and society.
If you are interested in learning more about the profession, please join us for this year’s Genetic Counseling Career Day. All are welcome, regardless of educational/career background or current understanding of the genetic counseling field.
During the day, you will:
- Meet multiple genetic counselors, with varying specialties, experiences, and perspectives
- Become familiar with the type of knowledge and skills genetic counselors use in their practice and the wide array of jobs this skill set can prepare you for
- Learn about the present state and the projected future of the profession
- Engage in discussions about the ethical and societal implications of genomic medicine
- Have lunch with practicing genetic counselors and genetic counseling students
- Break into smaller groups to learn about specialties within the field
Please note, this agenda is subject to change
- Large group discussions
- Overview of genetic counseling, its importance in the healthcare arena, and projected future of the field
- Similarities and differences among genetic counseling programs
- Panel discussion with practicing genetic counselors
- Applying to genetic counseling programs
- Details about the Joan H. Marks Graduate Program in Human Genetics at Sarah Lawrence College
- Cool or creepy (you will have to attend to learn what this is!)
- Smaller breakout session topics
- Prenatal/preconception genetic counseling
- Pediatric/adult genetic counseling
- Cancer genetic counseling
- Roles for genetic counselors in industry
- Roles for genetic counselors in research
- Discussions with recent graduates and/or current students
- Considering genetic counseling as a career change
Registration is required, as is a $30 registration fee, which includes breakfast and lunch. Please download a registration form and mail it along with a check or money order for $30 by June 1 to:
Human Genetics Graduate Program
Sarah Lawrence College
1 Mead Way
Bronxville, NY 10708
For questions or more information, please contact Erica Sanborn at (914) 395-2605 or (914) 395-2679.
Other helpful information:
- Please dress comfortably. There can be large temperature differentials between inside and outside so we recommend wearing layers.
- We are located between the Fleetwood and Bronxville Metro North Stations. For train times, please visit the Metro North web site. Taxi cab service (914-337-8311) is available from the Bronxville station and will cost $5. Get driving directions to campus»
- Free parking is available in the Andrews Parking Lot. From the parking lot, walk across Kimball Avenue to the Heimbold Visual Arts Center.
- There are multiple hotels within 10 miles of campus. See a list of area accommodations»
- Lunch will include vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate further dietary restrictions, so please plan accordingly and bring any necessary food with you.
We look forward to meeting you on June 8th!